Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Somewhere within the void of Jazz

Hello again,

I apologize for the lack of posts in the past few days, the habit of writing blog posts can be a tough one of to break into, especially when I have been dwelling deep somewhere in the void of jazz. In my life I have attempted many times to open my ears to what some might consider the most pure form of music (I personally do not share this opinion), and recently it has become easier as I find myself inching closer to that realm of music to suit my desires.

A few albums to give you and understanding of what I mean:

Bohren und der Club of Gore - Gore Motel

Okay, so this isn't REALLY jazz, but it's close enough. A dark and winding tunnel of jazz-doom that differs somewhat from the material seen later by this fantastic German group. These guys might be known for soft yet brooding late-night sounds, but this album sounds more like the demented grind-core of David Lynch's seedy backwoods bars.

Check out this slice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klBs5TXTudQ


Poolplayers - Way Below the Surface

This album does indeed dwell somewhere below; not much really seems to be solid on this album, rather a continuous stream of sound being structured and washed away by undercurrents. It took a few attempts before I finally sat down and listened through this, and it was indeed rewarding. The players here seem less to be creating music so much as taking it apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment